These no-bake “energy bites” may put me off baking forever. Basically a healthier version of raw cookie dough, these things are completely addictive. I may eschew cookies forever. Kidding. But these are that good. And better for you. I’ve been grabbing a few on my way to the gym in the morning and am really impressed by how filling they are. I love that the ingredients are all pantry basics and can be tweaked based on what you have on-hand, too.
- 1 cup (dry) oatmeal (I used old-fashioned oats)
- 2/3 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup peanut or almond butter (I prefer almond)
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed or wheat germ ( I used wheat germ)
- 1/4 cup chopped chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, almonds, or pecans
- handful of chopped craisins or other dried fruit
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Measure out the oatmeal and the honey into a bowl immediately and let sit at room temp for a bit to soften the oats. Next, stir all the ingredients together in a medium bowl until thoroughly mixed. Let chill in the refrigerator for half an hour. Once chilled, roll into balls of whatever size you would like. (Mine were about 1″ in diameter.) They are really rich and you’ll want a few, so I found that smaller was better. Store in an airtight container and keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.
Makes about 20-25 balls.
– Don’t substitute Agave for the honey, it’s not binding enough
– Use what you have! This recipe begs for re-invention. made my first batch with some chopped Lindt “Black Currant” chocolate bar and added some chopped walnuts in addition to the other ingredients. Just remember to adjust the wet to dry ingredients as needed to get the right slightly sticky/wet/roll-able consistency
– Other mix-ins I’ve enjoyed: chopped almonds, chopped Craisins, chopped dark chocolate chips
– I also swapped almond butter for the peanut butter from the original recipe for nutritional and taste preference purposes
– Make it gluten-free: Try subbing in Nature Path instant organic oatmeal, Gluten-free oats,” or Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Whole Grain, Rolled Oats for the regular rolled oats