A few years ago the advertising agency I was working for catered lunch for us from local Boston eatery Picco. While the pizza was to die for, it was this warm spinach salad that I absolutely fell head over heels for. It’s a seasonal salad so the second the temperature turns cooler, I look for it on their menu, but when it’s not available, (or I’m craving it on a weekday and can’t drive into the city) I like to use the following recipe to make it at home:
- 4 slices bacon (cut into 1 inch slices)
- 1 cup red onion (sliced)
- 1 1/2 cups white beans
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 small clove garlic (grated)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 ounces baby spinach
- ¼ cup goat cheese (crumbled)
- Cook the bacon in a pan and set aside reserving 2 tablespoons of bacon grease.
- Caramelize the onions in the remaining bacon grease and remove from heat before tossing with the beans and set aside.
- Add the vinegar to the pan and deglaze it.
- Add the reserved bacon grease, sugar, garlic and season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Assemble salad, toss with dressing, and serve immediately.