Over the weekend I went to a good friends’ housewarming party so I took the opportunity to try this recipe I’ve had on my “Must-Try” list forever. I didn’t follow it to the letter but I don’t think you have to when making something like chicken salad. I particularly liked that this version called for a lot of shredded carrot and was served up in easy, DIY, baked wonton cups. I love recipes that can be made ahead, they’re perfect for entertaining. They went pretty quickly at the party so I think I found a keeper! I’ve always wanted to experiment with wonton cups too, so I’m happy to cross that off my cooking bucket list.
My recipe tweaks are in italics below:
- 36 wonton wrappers
- 2 cups diced, cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (normally I’d have added these, but I didn’t for the party because of potential nut allergies)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/3 cup shredded (then finely chopped) carrot
- 1/3 cup finely diced celery
1/4 cup Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 2-3 tablespoons Smart Balance mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley (I used both dill and parsley)
- 1/4 cup chopped dried cranberries
1. HEAT oven to 350°F. Spray one side of each wonton wrapper with no-stick cooking spray. Press wonton wrappers, coated-side-down into miniature muffin cups.
10 to 12 (mine burned!) 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Check on them around 9 minutes! Remove from pans; cool.
3. COMBINE chicken, pecans, green onions, carrot and celery. Stir in oil, vinegar and thyme.
4. SPOON chicken mixture into wonton cups. Sprinkle with parsley or dill.