Skincare, hair, and beauty are a few of my favorite topics so it’s probably not surprising that I love prepping for special occasions weeks in advance. This Valentine’s Day I’m focusing on clear, glowing skin and soft, touchable hair. I haven’t decided whether I want to go with a smoky eye or a red lip, but I’ll have a perfectly prepped canvas to start with thanks to my “Valentine’s Day Beauty Prep” routine.
– Before showering, dry brush all over the body starting at the feet and moving up to stimulate blood flow and exfoliate skin.
– Wash face with Clarisonic Mia and usual cleanser, apply skin treatment products, then sunscreen.
PM: Use a fruit acid exfoliant like Kate Somerville’s ExfoliKate before applying skin treatment products and eye cream.
– Before showering, dry brush whole body again.
– In shower, use a fruit-acid exfoliant all-over body to slough off dead skin.
– Wash face with my usual cleanser, then once dry, apply skin treatment products (for my breakout-prone skin, this means benzoyl peroxide), and sunscreen. Apply Am-Lactin body lotion, $13, all over. (It’s an alpha-hydroxy packed body lotion that will help slough off even more dry, flaky, dull skin.) Apply hand cream. I love the one pictured above from CVS because it also has alpha-hydroxy acid as well which is wonderful for conditioning raw cuticles and nails.
– Wash face with Clarisonic Mia using a glycolic acid face wash.
– Then apply glycolic acid peel pad to exfoliate skin (these Avon ones are my favorite), and eye cream.
– Next, use a lip scrub or try a DIY version: Dip a wet finger into a little brown sugar or raw sugar. Rub on your lips to exfoliate. Apply lip balm.
Wednesday AM: Wash face with my usual cleanser, apply skin treatment products, then sunscreen
– Wash face with Clarisonic Mia using usual cleanser.
– In-shower, use a hair mask for 20-25 minutes. Moisturize with Am-Lactin afterwards.
– Apply a fruit acid face peel like Earth Science’s Gentle Skin Peel, $9 to deep clean any lingering impurities. After thoroughly rinsing, apply Retin-A cream (I have a prescription through a dermatologist — this makes my skin GLOW, I swear), then eye cream and hand cream.
– Wash face with my usual cleanser, apply skin treatment products, then sunscreen.
– Wash face with Clarisonic Mia and glycolic acid cleanser. Apply body lotion to dry spots (elbows, knees, ankles) before applying self-tanner all-over. *Let dry completely before changing for bed. And remember to sleep in dark clothes!*
– Shower and wash face with my usual cleanser. Wash and blow dry hair.
– Apply any gradual daily self-tanner/lotion to even out and boost self-tanner color a bit more before the evening. *Remember to wash your hands!*
– Apply Philosophy face serum, then sunscreen.
PM: Moisturize face and body, apply foundation primer, and apply makeup. Ta dah!