Chatting about food and restaurants and occasionally exchanging recipes is a given when together with friends, but after spending last weekend on the Cape with some girlfriends, conversation turned to the go-to meals we make after a long workday or when we’re less than inspired. Listening to everyone share their favorites reminded me of a discontinued online series by Self magazine called “Eat Like Me.” Have you heard of it?
The series followed the food travels of registered dietitian (and fellow-Bostonian!), Cristin Dillon-Jones; what she cooked at home and what she ordered at restaurants for every meal and snack, along with photos and brief, but much-appreciated, posts ranging from balancing nutrition to using up whatever was in her fridge before a vacation. It was a simple, practical, source of inspiration I looked to regularly and I miss it. So I had an idea. Although I’m hardly qualified to dish out dietary advice professionally, I do think I can help inspire.
Each week or so, I’ll post some of my favorite eats from the week as a series. A little bit down the road, I can even imagine featuring those of my friends, fellow bloggers, and Instagram buddies for even more inspired eats.
– Almond butter and jelly on whole wheat, honeydew, carrots and hummus, and an apple. I can’t tell you how often my dinner looks like this in summer!
– Yogurt and blueberries with slivered almonds and coconut
– Spring mix with BBQ chicken, grill-roasted tomatoes, and sunflower seeds
– Tomato soup made with 1% milk
– BBQ chick, grilled peaches, pineapple, tomatoes, and zucchini
– Baked pork chop with steamed broccoli and a cinnamon sweet potato
– Shake Shack burger for a little mid-week lunch splurge
– Giant salad of spring mix, chopped chicken, chickpeas, tomato, cucumber, and sunflower seeds; blueberries and strawberries
– Two eggs scrambled with parsley and chives and two pieces whole grain toast spread with avocado