1/12/15 — Out of nowhere, I got the most random craving for triple berry muffins. I’ve been on a major fruit smoothie and Greek yogurt kick lately, so I was excited to try a few healthier swaps in this recipe with the flour and butter. The result is a slightly denser muffin, which was perfect on such a dreary, rainy day. They were so good I ate
two four, searing hot, straight from the muffin tin!
Triple Berry Muffins
Yield: 18 muffins
Healthier Version: Sub 1/2 flour for whole wheat, sub butter with 3/4 cup applesauce + ¼ cup oil or ½ cup smart balance and ½ cup Greek yogurt; reduce sugar to 1 cup
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups milk
1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, melted
1 cup fresh blueberries*
1/2 cup fresh raspberry*
1/2 cup chopped fresh strawberries*
*Can substitute berries for 2 cups frozen (leave frozen)
1. In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients.
2. In another bowl beat the eggs,milk and butter, stir into the dry ingredients,just until moist and fold in berries.
3. Fill greased or paper lined muffin pans 3/4 full.
4. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
5. Cool for 5 minutes.
6. Remove from Pan to a wire rack.
7. Dust with powdered sugar