I’ve always loved making New Year’s resolutions but over the past few years, I’ve grown less and less ambitious with them. I think last year’s were simply to not have any. (Done!)
This year, I have a new approach. Instead of making sweeping promises for the entire year, I’m going to focus on January. At the end of the month, I’ll assess what I’ve accomplished and will hopefully feel motivated enough to carry them on (or tweak them) into February.
So, what are my resolutions? I love categorizing so I’ve broken them into a few different areas:
- Get outside daily for a walk with Emilia, even if it’s just around the backyard
- Start-up weekly prenatal yoga
- Listen to The Honest Guys “Guided Meditation” on Spotify every day
- Add a green smoothie to the family breakfast a few times a week
- Strength train 2x a week
- Setup an automated retirement account savings plan
- Setup collage savings plan for Emilia and a savings account
- Move our family finance tracking from Minted to Personal Capital
- Complete the Uber Frugal Challenge
- Setup an Etsy shop to generate some extra cash flow
- Redesign this blog’s layout
- Learn to knit
- Practice pausing before speaking*
- Assess my clothes to clean out, a la The Life-changing Magic of Tidying Up
- Continue The 26 Book Challenge
- Make time for me, whether it’s reading before bed, going to dinner or taking a bath with all my favorite Lush goodies
- Keep up journaling this pregnancy via The Belly Book
- Join a local mom’s group to meet other families in our new town
So those are my January 2017 resolutions! I’ll check back in toward the end of the month and share how things went and any good “Green Smoothie” recipes that are actually palatable. This list already seems a little too ambitious for me because some of it reads like a checklist of lingering To Do’s, but if the new year is able to kick my butt into gear, we all win, right? So, ambition it is! Happy New Year everyone.
*This one is related to my fall read, What Would Buddha Say. Mindfulness and non-judgement are two things I want to work on in 2017, but that's a tall order so I'm taking a small step to start. I think starting a daily meditation practice will help with this too.